Natural Remedies for Fibromyalgia
According to WebMD, “fibromyalgia is the most common musculoskeletal condition after osteoarthritis.”
Symptoms include widespread muscle and joint pain and fatigue. It can lead to depression and social isolation and is often misdiagnosed and misunderstood.
Because there is no remedy and the cause is not understood, some people find that natural remedies for fibromyalgia help.
Keep in mind that because there are few studies on these treatments, the best way to find out if they work is to try them. Talk to your doctor first, though-this article is not intended to replace his or her advice.
Suggested Essential Oil Protocols
- For pain, use wintergreen, helichrysum, lavender, rosemary, and thyme. Massage 1-2 drops of each, diluted, on the location. Apply as a warm compress over the affected area.
- Nutritional Balance: Make sure you take vitamins. Take supplements that have potent levels of essential nutrients and metabolic factors for optimal health.
- Make sure you get plenty of both vitamin D and magnesium. These have both been found to be low in people with fibromyalgia. Vitamin D does have some effects on nerve and muscle function, however, some studies have shown that low levels of this vitamin may be associated with chronic pain.
- Cellular Support and Healing: 8 drops of DDR prime 2 times per day. This essential oil blend is formulated to support healthy cellular response, repair, and regeneration. It provides antioxidant protection and a healthy response to cellular stressors. You can also try 2-4 drops of frankincense under the tongue or internally with a spoonful of honey.
- Strengthen the Immune System: PB Assist to support healthy digestive functions and immunities. PB Assist is a blend of pre-biotic fiber along with 6 strains of probiotic microorganisms in a veggie cap that encourages culture adhesion and growth.
- Gastrointestinal Support: It is thought that one root cause of autoimmune disorders is Candida. According to WebMD, “Candida is a species of fungus that can live the mouth and digestive tract of both men and women”. To fight candida naturally, use 3-5 drops each of cinnamon, melaleuca, lemon, and oregano essential oils in a veggie cap and take it internally. You can also rub these oils on the bottoms of your feet or diluted on your abdomen.
- Emotional Support: Emotional support is important when you have fibromyalgia. There are many essential oils that will alleviate the symptoms of depression. Among them are: lemon, frankincense, lavender, bergamot, Elevation, and Balance.
If you have fibromyalgia, have you ever tried essential oils to relieve your symptoms?
Acupuncture is one of the oldest forms of treatment for chronic pain and is based on ancient Chinese medical practices. Several studies support the use of acupuncture for fibromyalgia pain.
The treatment is combined with a pulsed electric current (electroacupuncture), however, the results of this treatment do not seem to be long-lasting.
SAMe is naturally occurring through the body. It has been shown to relieve depression and the chronic pain associated with osteoarthritis. Some studies show that taking SAMe may reduce fibromyalgia symptoms of pain, fatigue, and stiffness. The studies are small, however, and not all participants found relief.
The benefits of massage therapy for fibromyalgia are difficult to demonstrate in a study, but it does seem to help for many kinds of muscle pain including fibromyalgia.
Melatonin is a natural hormone found in the body and is thought to promote sleep. There does not seem to be enough evidence to support its use for chronic pain but you never know until you try it.
If you have ever tried a natural remedy for chronic pain, please leave a comment and let me know what it was and how it worked for you. I would like to help other people by sharing it.
Many people get help from natural remedies for fibromyalgia despite the lack of research support. If you want to try one of these, always check with your doctor first and leave a comment about whether or not they worked for you.
Victoria has been using doTerra essential oils since 2010 to improve her overall health and wellness after a cancer scare and has been practicing Reiki for 4 years. She has a passion for helping people and their pets by sharing natural remedies.
Sign up for the Joyful Essential Oils weekly newsletter and receive a free essential oil sample and a pocket sized guide to their therapeutic uses.